Tuesday, November 07, 2006


I happen to be of the opinion that beginning November it is perfectly acceptable to start listening to Christmas music. I have been taking a poll of sorts at work today and I have discovered that I am in the minority here. It seems that most people believe it is inappropriate until after Thanksgiving (I call them dead inside). Christmas music doesn't mean Christmas to me - it means holiday time in general. I get excited and happy when I listen to it and no one is going to convince me that it's not okay but I still want to know what you think...

9 comments:

sacramentostakeclerk said...

I wait until Thanksgiving Day... but this might only be because it has never occurred to me to buck this particular system.

Also, it can be a little weird here in California to listen to Christmas music so early since I was just today marveling that I am still wearing flip-flops and I sent my kids to school today in short sleeve shirts. On November 7th.

Papa said...

Bah Humbug! Christmas music should only be listened to on Christmas day! Then put away until the next year....

Of course, your mother hasn't chipped in here as yet, one who listens to this genre 24/7/365, bet there's a Christmas cd in her car right now, been there most of the year! I'm guessing she'll be offering some support for your question tomorrow.

The one exception to the one day of Chritmas music is the Messiah, which is clearly acceptable year around. This isn't Christmas music per se, but it probably gets most of it's play around that particular time of the year.

Dad the dead inside!

Caitlin said...

Dad, you know as well as I do, Mom keeps those cds in her car all year because she's worried you'll throw them away again...

Patti said...

The CD changer is loaded up with my favorites. I don't listen to them all year, but this year I did start a few weeks ago. And Caity is right . . . I keep them in my car so they won't get tossed. Like my Carolers . . .

I am not dead inside.

My mothering job is done! I can sleep now . . .

Patti said...

Today, Caity, you made me happy!

Candace said...

I'm thinking so much about Christmas now. Not even really a thought for Thanksgiving. Haven't brought out the Christmas music yet, but I have come across it on the radio already & it makes me happy.

Bride said...

dude Dad is so dead inside. Cait you know how I feel "Christmas in the city! aint no place Id rather be!"

I LOVE YOU

Anonymous said...

I apparently fall under the "Dead Inside" category because I strictly forbid Chrismas music before Thanksgiving. Think about it, there are like, what, 10 Christams songs, 15 if you stretch it? And you want to listen to them overandoverandoverandover again for more than a month, why again?

One can only listen to "Frosty the Snowman," so many times before one tries to shove candy canes in one's ears to make the madness stop. But that's just me. I also hate cutesy photos of kittens and flossing, so... whatever.

Patti said...

Dylan and I need to talk. There are so many more than 15 Christmas songs . . .

But I'm with you on the kitten emails.