Question: Is it ever okay to buy a concert t-shirt at a concert and put it on while you are there?
Here's my view: If you go to a concert and buy a t-shirt and then a year later the same band comes back - it is okay, it's not cool, but it's okay to wear the t-shirt you bought the year earlier. There is a direct correlation between coolness and the age of the t-shirt. If the concert was years ago and the t-shirt is all broken it - you're good to go.
I'm trying to prove a point here so tell me what you think.
By the way, I'm going to see Ben Lee on Saturday...
Wednesday, November 08, 2006
Posted by Caitlin at 11:21 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
So I shouldn't have put that Michael Buble' tshirt on at the Andre Agassi benefit? My bad.
I love that guy . . .
um, no idea, Caity . . . I do NOT sit at the cool table. Can't help you out. :)
HAHAHAHAHAHH moms FUNNY oh man i shouldnt encourage her
luckily i DO sit at the cool table my take: depends on the band, but i think its is cool to wear a shirt you bought a year earlier- kinda not cool to buy it and put it on there-looks like youre either tryin to fit in quick or not have to hold it.
Okay. Here's my take on it: Band t-shirts are not the cool thing like they were in the '90's. It's not bad to own them & wear them, but NEVER wear the t-shirt of the band you are going to see. NEVER. No matter how old it is.
Actually, any person can do anything they want at any given time & it really shouldn't matter what anybody else thinks.
But it's still not cool to sport the shirt of the people you are there to see. Doesn't make any sense, I know.
Have fun at Ben Lee.
As someone who has been to not a few shows during my lifetime, as well as a certified black belt Rock Snob (I own almost the entire Guided By Voices catalog as well as a signifigant portion of lead-singer Robert Pollard's solo records and am therefore cooler than thou), I am firmly in the camp that says that wearing the shirt of the band you are going to see is a major faux pas. It's so "trying too hard." It's like those people who live in Las Vegas and wear "Las Vegas" t-shirts. What the heck? Are you going to forget where you live and need to wear a shirt to remind you? Did you forget you were here to see Modest Mouse so you wore their shirt from the last time they came through? No. Just... no.
I tend to stick to the "R.I.Y.L. Rule." Basically, if you have a shirt of a band that would be Recommended If You Like _______ (insert band name you are seeing here) by Columbia House or Amazon, by all means, wear it. It makes you look just a little bit cooler and shows others that sure, this Ben Lee cat's cool, but I also listen to... say Ben Kweller. Or Ben Folds. Or Ben Harper. Or Ben Vereen.
Also, if you want extra indie cred points, wear a shirt of a band that nobody's heard of. In fact, if you can make your own shirt of a band that's never even existed you will be crowned "Coolest Person At the Show," and get to have dinner at a Denny's of your choice with the headliner of the show. Your treat, of course, but still... you got to eat a chicken fried steak with so&so, and all because of your homemade "Harriet Tubman & the Underground Railroaders Elks Lodge Tour 2003" t-shirt.
Hope this clears this matter up. The Snob has spoken.
When I asked Brett what he thought he actually said the same thing as Dylan about the R.I.Y.L. rule (minus the acronym). I think it's best not to wear a band shirt at all - at this point in your life, you're definitely trying too hard (not you, but you in general). When you're in high school you can get away with it because even if you're pretending not to, you're still trying. It's nice to be an adult and just wear what you want. The last time we went to a show in San Francisco most of the women wore their Manolos and I was like, "You mean I didn't have to break out my ripped jeans and Pavement t-shirt from high school? I didn't get that message." (Don't worry, I didn't actually do that).
Have fun at Ben Lee. We're going to see Pete Yorn next weekend. He's playing at a small theater in Hanford and if you're wondering where Hanford is, well, that's exactly why it will be so good.
Post a Comment