
So, we went and picked out our tree this weekend. I have to tell you it's a bit of a Charlie Brown tree. It's pretty bare. We went and picked it out though and you can't believe how it smells. Ah, Christmas. Of course, we took Otis with us up to Idaho City. It's a tiny, tiny place - it was a town full for prospectors (does that remind anyone else of Rudolph?) back in the day. We drove up into the mountains and when we let Otis out and he sunk into the snow up to his belly, he was being very cautious. Then, like he just couldn't hold it in anymore, he went crazy. He was running all over and biting the snow and we were cracking up. Every time we called his name he would look up and have snow all over his nose. It was fun. He loved it.
All the trees in this section of the woods had long needles and we were not really digging them. We would look up and see the perfect tree. We would hike over to it and it was three really scrawny trees all bunched together. A terrible trick. Anyway, I settled for this one because I was so ready to get out of there! You can't really tell by looking at the top but when you look at the bottom where the snow is in the background, you can really tell how bare it is. A little sad but I think I can make it look good. By the way, if anyone has any good homemade ornament ideas - let me know.
You can't tell but when I took this picture of Russ - he was throwing our little tree into the back of the truck with one hand. We both think that next year, we'll do better. I plan on doing a little scouting on next summers camping trips...
Tuesday, December 05, 2006
Posted by Caitlin at 5:31 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
You guys are so adventurous. And you have time for homemade ornaments?!! I have a hard enough time just putting up all my store bought stuff. I remember one time (I think at the house on Andover Road in Billerica) we made real popcorn garland. Of course I was just a kid, but I'm pretty sure that we all decided that it was way more work than it was worth. I'm looking forward to seeing your tree all decorated. You're so crafty---I'm sure it will look cute.
Reminds me of the trees we always had when we were little. Before my parents bought a fake one. We'd go & cut it down too. Ask Russell if he remembers. I'm sure it will look great when you get it home.
I love a Charlie Brown tree . . . but yours looks great. I can't wait to see it all decorated!
My tree is at Star Nursery and a burly delivery man I don't know brings it to the house every year. This is so Dad won't grumble about Christmas anymore than he already does . . . by the way, it took me 20 years to figure out this was a better way to handle getting a Christmas tree.
I'm a slower learner . . .
Dwayne always loves the "Charlie Brown"-type trees with the branches spread apart. His grandfather always chose these types of trees so he could spend the ENTIRE month of December placing the icicles 'just so'.
For this reason, Dwayne and I always disagreed about the 'perfect tree'. Looks like I won with the fake tree!
Post a Comment