Friday, September 14, 2007

Paola always tells me that she can't wait for me to have a baby. Last night she said that she'd bet that my Mom can't wait either, you know, because I'm my Mom's oldest. We talked about it for a long time and I told her that isn't the way our family works. It never has been. Paola's Dad has other kids that Paola doesn't know. I can't imagine not knowing my older brother and sisters or them not knowing me. Remember in elementary school at the beginning of the year when you would have to write a paragraph about yourself, like an introduction? I always wrote that I was the fifth out of eight kids in my family. I think I usually listed names, too (makes the paragraph look good and long). It was very defining while I was little and growing up. Other families don't see things the same way and while that is sad to me, it makes me feel so grateful that my parents made a point to make sure that we knew (and know) that we have a big family. So thanks Mom and Dad...

7 comments:

sacramentostakeclerk said...

Understanding our family tree takes nothing less than a whiteboard, and those who have known me for years still have trouble keeping it all straight.

But that's because I talk about you all... so my friends need to know your names. And I talk about you because you're part of my life, and that's a good thing.

Here's the brain twister for most: I am the oldest of nine. You are the fifth of eight. I am your father's first born. Sometimes when someone asks me how many siblings I have, I'm not sure how to answer simply. I feel like I have to explain, even though I probably shouldn't try!

Hello, whiteboard.

sacramentostakeclerk said...

As if I haven't said enough...

I'm always impressed and touched when Brittany has been invited along on our family outings.

sacramentostakeclerk said...

My verbs didn't agree in that last post.

Patti said...

I don't explain a thing. That's why people people at church come up to me and ask me how Brittany is and do I have her new cell phone number. This is true.

For the record, Zach having a baby doesn't feel any different to me than Missa or Stacy or Kelly.

Brooke said...

I love your family. Your parents & all of your brothers & sisters...you guys have my respect big time.

It gives me hope.

P.S. I knew what your response was going to be about the baby thing, just because your famly is so close. (and COOL)

Bride said...

i did the listing thing too.

Bride said...

i still do now i include the spouses and babies.

i still want you to have a baby though.

...

after you move back home.