Things I've learned in my nursing skills class:
1. hand hygiene
2. also, how to spell hygiene
3. how to apply sterile gloves (harder than you think)
4. how to use a gait belt (even though I'm pretty sure they don't use them anymore)
5. how to take someone's vitals
6. including blood pressure
7. the "principles of ergonomics" - did you know that most hospitals are adopting "no lift" policies because so many nurses get hurt trying to move their patients? I didn't.
8. how to give a bed bath
9. including "pericare" (take a wild guess)
10. hospital corners
11. how to make an occupied bed
12. how to record intake and output
13. how to apply restraints
14. how to remove staples and sutures
I also found out recently that next semester my clinicals will be "off-site" at an extended care facility. To me, this is the saddest kind of nursing. It might be a rough semester.
Friday, March 07, 2008
Posted by Caitlin at 6:07 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
You have learned lots of cool stuff!!
When I worked at the orthopaedic office I took staples out of people after their hip or knee replacements. It was kinda cool!
Making an occupied bed is so hard. I watched nurses do it and it was impressive.
Vicarious pleasure, Caity.
oooh lets add this to our list of things to do while in boise.
*make bridget's bed while occupied.
That made me laugh out loud, Bridget.
No Lift policies sound good to me, especially since my 85 pound nurse INSISTED on lifting me even though my legs were TOTALLY numb from an epidural and I only delivered a 6 pound baby despite GAINING FIFTY POUNDS...she dropped me...i passed out... a measly hour after GIVING BIRTH....it was humiliating...no lift I suport that policy!
Post a Comment