Sara, the girl that started the book group, called me last night. One of the other girls (one of five) doesn't want to read The Lovely Bones, my pick for next month. See, the first month I went to book group, Sara asked me if I had any book to suggest. I told her in front of the group that I was considering Lovely Bones but I wasn't sure. She gave a couple reasons why she thought it may not be a good one - she's read it before. It's been a couple months since then and it seems as though we've been reading the same type of book for a while - pretty much love stories. I'm so ready to change it up. The other girl remembered what Sara said and doesn't want to read the book. It's being totally misrepresented here! Anyway, the question(s): do I pick another book or do I stick with Lovely Bones? Do I try to talk the girl in to reading it? Should I bring it up at church today or should I just wait until the group meets up on Thursday? What do you think?
Sunday, May 11, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
And that, right there, is why I opt out. Someone in my book club in Chicago objected to reading Graham Greene. She said there was too much Catholicism. Huh?
Definitely wait till Thursday.
Book Clubs can be tricky. It takes time, I think, to find the right mix of people with similar sensibilities about reading and literature... and you might need to abandon a book club or two before finding the right one, if you even care that much to make the effort. (Is that OK to say out loud?)
I've feel lucky. I've been with the same group for over seven years. It started with a larger number of women but has whittled down to just four of us (for years now). I really, really like these women... even when I am outvoted on War and Peace. (I'm NEVER going to finish!)
wait until thurs. what were her reasons? shes dumb. its good.
Post a Comment