Instagram is awesome but it makes me so lazy! I've been posting pictures there instead of updating here.
Ruby gained 6 ounces this week; she weighs 10 pounds, 8.5 ounces. Yes, we really are counting by the half ounce. It's so crazy. I keep wondering at what point we're going to feel comfortable and whether feeding her is ever going to be like feeding a normal healthy baby. Will the day ever come?
The longer I am back to work, the more comfortable people are with asking about her. When people ask how she is, all I ever talk about is eating and weight gain because those are our only problems! Really though, they are asking about her brain and whether they think she is going to have any disabilities. Ruby didn't have any bleeding in her brain but we won't really rule anything out until she is pretty old. At this age, the biggest indication that something isn't right is any delay in motor development. Physical therapy comes to the house every week and we do range of motion exercises and keep pretty close track of her motor skills. Right now, as far as motor control is concerned, Ruby is ahead - she does more than a 3 month old would be doing. We give her a little bit of a break and assess whether she's meeting milestones by her corrected age, that is, how old she would be if she came when she was supposed to. She's still the size of a newborn but isn't all floppy like a newborn. Sometimes we wonder if she feels like she's a 7 month old trapped in a newborn baby's body. Today, we don't have any signs that Ruby's brain isn't totally normal.
Are there other things? Things you want to know but feel too scared to ask? You know what I think? I think it's better just to ask. It helps me keep a little perspective. I get caught up in what's going on this second and forget a little about how lucky we are that Ruby is even around at all. Doesn't it just make you want to go to church just thinking about it? Plus I love talking about how awesome my baby is...
Saturday, June 30, 2012
Posted by Caitlin at 11:58 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
When people ask me questions (and they regularly do) I'm going to send them to this post.
I don't think Ruby is done surprising us. She is so awesome. Cute, too.
There was a video we showed on my mission where examples of beautiful things of the natural earth were shown across the screen and the narrator says the line from Alma, "All things denote there is a God." Ruby, for me, denotes there is a God. No doubt she is beautiful and that's part of it... but it's more than that, isn't it? Some kind of grand mercy and miracle that testifies to the beauty and power of God and of the body and the spirit. Too dramatic? I feel justified because what Ruby has shown us has been pretty darn dramatic, I think.
But I probably SHOULD take the thought to church. The fact that I kept reading the word "assess" as "asses" in my brain proves that church is where I need to get straight away.
I want to follow you on instagram! Look for me- kryjo. She is growing cuter by the minute!
I like talking about how awesome your baby is too.
Post a Comment