Monday, March 05, 2007

I just have to add. I watched Scoop this weekend and I've been dying over this one line. Woody Allen says, "I never gain a pound. My anxiety, it acts like aerobics."

10 comments:

Patti said...

If only...

Dylan Todd said...

Was Scoop any good? I sorta gave up on Woody a while back (sometime near Small Time Crooks, though I did see Crimes And Misede... I mean Match Point - same movie. Same! MOVIE! Maybe I'm a little bitter sonce Crimes is one of my favorite late-Woody movies.)

Also, kudos on doing nothing over the weekend. Nothing is highly underrated. It's like the Jeff Bridges of things to do.

Dylan Todd said...

Or Gene Hackman. Gene Hackman's a better underrated actor. So... nothing is the Gene Hackman of things to do. There.

Glad that's settled.

Bride said...

um small time crooks is soo good. come on.

compared to you this chair is a genius.

Caitlin said...

Scoop was just alright. There were a few funny parts. I have to agree with Bride on this one, though. Small Time Crooks was funny. Come one, when Jon Lovitz tries to cover the hole in the water main with a pizza pan? So funny.

Dylan Todd said...

Lemme just backpedal here, I haven't seen Small Time Crooks. Re-reading my post, it does sound like I'm slagging it, but believe me when I say I'm not. I actually read the synopsis on Netflix recently and it sounded kind of funny, so I'll give you that.

The reason I sort of gave up on Woody is that it just got so it wasn't worth sitting through all of the rehashed crap for a few shining moments here and there. As much as I admire the man and think he's done some brilliant work, I'm sad to say that most - if not all - of it is behind him, waving goodbye as it gets smaller in the rear-view mirror.

Most of his work from the last 20 years or so has felt like watching someone do an awkward Woody Allen impersonation (which, from what I'm told, is pretty much Will Ferrell in Melinda & Melinda.) Even Match Point, which is a decent thriller and was met with a lot of critical hubbub is really just Crimes & Misdemeanors without the "funny" subplot or the moral ambiguity (will God punish Martin Landau or did he really get away with it?) that made Crimes a lot more interesting.

Like I said, I love the man and think he's done some work that's pretty dang close to "genius," but I haven't been able to work up any excitement for him in years.

Also, it's total crap that his work isn't autobiography. Just thought I'd throw that in there.

[whew]

Dang, now I know, DO NOT mess with Woody Allen in front of Lunn girls. Duly noted. Now please stop the kicking. At least not so much in the facial area. That's how I makes my living.

Patti said...

I never thought about Match Point being Crimes and Misdemeanors, but that's true . . . I thought Crimes was more about a moral dilemma and Match Point was more about the role luck plays in lives . . . but there were definitely lots of similarities.

And I'm with Dylan, I've never bought the 'my films aren't autobiographical'.

Small Time Crooks . . . it's funny as in Take the Money and Run silly funny. But there are so many others . . .

Manhattan Murder Myster
Mighty Aphrodite
New York Stories
Hannah and Her Sisters
Manhattan
Annie Hall

Watch Wild Man Blues . . . documentary of Woody in Europe with his jazz band. The glimpse you get of him . . . you see his parents and his wife (?!), etc.

Bride said...

k i the genius comment was a quote not actually directed at dylan! that looks like it could be quite malicious now that i read it over.

manhattan murder mystery mom how come we dont own that??

Dylan Todd said...

No offense taken, by the way. Dang internet and your lack of ability to convey emotion! Blast your eyes!

Patti said...

Whoa, when I read Bridie's comment and scrolled back I winced a little . . . glad you clarified that was a line from the movie, Bridie.

I don't know why we don't own Manhattan Murder Mystery. Dad and I saw it in a little art cinema in Chicago (ah, they had many) and it had us sitting on the edge of our seat. That just doesn't happen in a Woody Allen movie. It keeps you guessing right to the very end . . . it's a good one.

I have to admit I like his movies set in New York. I can't adjust to him in the U.K.

And seriously, rent Wild Man Blues. His elderly parents are hilarious.