Tuesday, January 22, 2008

You know that part on High Fidelity when Rob (John Cusack) yells at Barry (Jack Black) about his music selection for the record store? He says he just wants something he can ignore. I was thinking about that because I have 9 chapters of a textbook to read before class next week and it is not possible for me to listen to music with words while I read. I always end up singing along. Always. I wish I could find something I could ignore. It's going to be a long, quiet 9 chapters.

Random but I've got a question for you. When you load the silverwear in the dishwasher, does it go fork prongs up or fork prongs down? I've always said prongs up. Russell, prongs down. I guess it grosses me out a little because our dishwasher came with our house and the basket is all stabbed and jaggedy because of someone else's silverwear. And then. Yesterday morning, I was stabbed by one of the steak knives Russell got for Christmas. I think I might have to convert to prongs (or sharp points) down...

9 comments:

sacramentostakeclerk said...

We are split down the same lines in my household. Garett says we need to have prongs down for the sake of the children... so then when I load the dishwasher prongs up it is really just reckless parenting on my part. But I'm not bitter and my feelings are completely proportionate to the importance of the issue.

Prongs up makes me feel like my silverware is getting cleaner. Is that sound logic?

Patti said...

I load it prongs down, otherwise hands get on the part you'll put in your mouth after they're clean. Makes me sound like a germ-a-phobe, but you know I'm not...

It's a good question.

My new dishwasher has that fancy tray on the top to lay the silverware flat, but it's very annoying to me. Only engineers use those trays.

Stacy said...

I load forks and knives prongs down (for the same reason--so I don't stab myself when unloading). But I always put spoons up because I've noticed they don't spot as much.

Dylan Todd said...

Prongs (or whatever) up means the soap runs down and off instead of collecting in the part you put in your mouth. Right?

Dylan Todd said...

As far as good background music goes, here are some suggestions:

Brian Eno's more ambient work (Like Ambient 1: Music For Airports or Apollo: Atmospheres & Soundtracks) are pretty study-safe. Boards Of Canada explores similar territory. French duo Air also has some interesting instrumental stuff. Their Virgin Suicides soundtrack was pretty awesome.

Mogwai or Explosions In the Sky are the rock equivalent or ambient music, with very cinematic, Wagner-ian anthems (the latter was featured heavily in the film version of Friday night Lights).

Also, Yo La Tengo released a great soundtrack for an underwater film. It's entitled The Sound Of the Sounds Of Science, and it is pretty excellent.

Help?



maybe Air

Dylan Todd said...

Oh. That "maybe Air" thing was accidental. Sorry.

Anonymous said...

I'm a bad mother too... I put everything up forks, knives and spoons. And I dont know what Tony would do... I dont think he has ever loaded the dishwasher!!

Anonymous said...

Handles down except for knives.

http://www.ehow.com/how_9394_load
-run-dishwasher.html

Dylan Todd said...

Yay! I was (mostly) right! I feel so... empowered!